Thursday, December 14, 2006

I hate MicroSoft

Nothing new..But I hate MicroSoft. Normally I don't like writing flames, but I am not in a good mood now, after the day turned out to be worst after fighting with my ISP. So have to express my anger here to get my head cool. So here it goes,

I knew that RTR Ready to Run Software, withdrew the support for MS FrontPage extensions. I never used FrontPage, but customers does and I must admit that it is hard to solve their issues without access to FP program. A customer was asking to install FP on his bare server. He was specific about the FP5 version. Ended up at RTR site to read the faq,


#Where can I get the latest Unix/Linux FrontPage Server Extensions?
The FPSE kits are no longer available for download.

#I really need the Unix/Linux FPSE kit, can you please send me a copy?
No, unfortunately, end-of-life really means end-of-life.

#May I distribute the FPSE kit(s) that I have previously downloaded?
No.


Searched for a few more, but all I could find is rpm based fp pack inside the plesk's rpm packages. They had everyone removed the file from every google cache.

Though I admit that FP extensions was one of the packages with only security holes, I don't understand why Microsoft has to withdraw the support from Unix completely instead of announcing a EOL ? Looks like MicroSoft was frustrated with the popularity of Unix boxes over Windows. Or did they buy RTR ? I know lots of customers uses FP extensions on Linux, for it's ease of use and support for FP components. Plesk already withdraw the FP support in fresh installation of the panel on Linux. When is cPanel going to ?

I always have a feeling that Anti Piracy cell of Microsoft is doing a great job in spreading Linux and other FOSS. Microsoft, please do more piracy raids, especially at small and medium business. Let me get more clients wanting to convert Windows boxes to Linux and convert their MS Office and Excel docs to sxw and sxi formats.

Ask the IT Managers to pay you per computer connected to the Windows server, and they will consult with us and replace windows server to be replaced with Samba, released under GPL (v2 or v3 ?:-P). Praise the Anti Piracy department of M$ for spreading Linux and other FOSS.

No comments: