Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Booting from your USB/Pen/Thumb Drive

I just read a post from Joe (I guess he is a manager at SUN - if so, a good one to support the developers :-)) mentioning about the visual media coverage of Anil Gulecha's and Moinak Ghosh's achievement of booting live Solaris from USB. Watch the video below

In this light, I thought of mentioning a few USB bootable live CDs in linux and mention a few links also, mainly for my own future reference. Linux is the only OS, I know atleast a bit of, even I am playing with OpenSolaris, not yet as an admin. Is there a hosting based GUI control panel available for OpenSolaris ? I could find only Zomos (though the site says only v9 is supported, but both arch SPARC and x86). If there is a good and "non-technical user" friendly one, I bet OpenSolaris is gonna compete with Linux in hosting industry in next few years.

PenDriveLinux This is one good discussion site and the Live Linux I would recommend is Slax So here goes a few URLs,

Boot Knoppix from USB
Knoppix Remastering toolkit FAQ can be read here
BootUSB from debian Wiki
Googling for a HOWTO boot from USB can fetch you this link

No comments: