Tuesday, February 13, 2007

cPanel and XWindows

XWindows dont work once cPanel is installed. Reasons are many why they disabled XWindows on the easy one script installation of cPanel, primary reason being security.

However I needed Xwindows to be running on a cPanel installed machine. Here is what I did.

  1. Edited /etc/rc.local and commented the line /scripts/securetmp
  2. /etc/init.d/xfs start
  3. chkconfig --add xfs
  4. chkconfig --level 2345 xfs on
Rebooted the machine and when came up, mysql service didn't start. Easy guess was /tmp permissions. I checked the permissions and it was 755, changed to 2777 permissions
5. chmod 2777 /tmp
6. Login screen came in and I logged in :-)

lol. That was easy isn't it ? May not be. Sometimes you need to edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf as well and search & comment the lines "FontPath "unix/:7100" . Rare cases. But that is a chance.

If you are reading this blog and even after trying these you are not able to get the XWindows working after these work arounds, please comment. I also played around a few more settings before I could get it work. May be I can remember on seeing the error.

No comments: